Google
 

Monday, June 8, 2009

"I'm above the below and below the upper. I'm stuck in the middle where money gets tight, but I guess I'm doin' alright."

The title is taken from the Jo Dee Messina song "I'm alright". I've been a little bit, kinda-sorta, maybe just a tad, completely obsessed with this song lately. To phrase it dramatically: it speaks to me.

I went home after the semester ended, but only stayed for about 3 weeks; then I came back to school to work. Coming back to school was 100% necessary - money is tight, and the job I have here is good. But that isn't to say I wasn't sad about leaving. Because I was. For some reason, this time was really hard. Maybe it's because summer is the time you really are supposed to be out of school and with your family and friends, and I was fully expecting to do that until about a month before summer started. Or maybe I just really really missed everyone, because 2nd semester took a lot longer than 1st semester, and I didn't come home at all. Either way, leaving was sad. But despite the sadness and the still-lingering desire to be home instead of at school, I know it was the right decision - because even though I was sad about leaving home again, I have peace inside about the decision to stay here for the summer. And I learned (or actually re-learned because I'm pretty sure I've been taught this many times in my life) a bigger thing from this: I realize that when decisions have to be made, about anything, the easiest way or the popular opinion is really NOT always the best way. But no matter what you decide, it will be positive in some aspects and negative in others. So you have to make your decisions in life based on what gives you peace inside, because in your soul, God really is leading you to the best decision. You just have to be quiet enough to listen, and trust Him enough to get you through the difficulties.

So, I'm all, I'm all, I'm alright.
It's a beautiful day, not a cloud in sight,
So I guess I'm doin' alright!

2 comments:

Zwvooski said...

hello my love. i just wanted to say that i love reading anything you have to post. I'm truly, truly happy that you feel good about your decisions, even though it goes against my desire to book the fastest plane to florida, swipe you up, and carry you home. i'm happy that you were able to think it through and come to a peaceful ending. enjoy your time in the warm weather. i miss you more than you know. : ) skype me! sooo much love from illinois

Patrick said...

Hello my friend that left me for Florida,

I hope the hot weather is treating you well. I love to phrase things dramactically. Is there any other way? =D I'm sorry that you had to leave again. I miss my locker buddy and I kinda miss lockers too-weird. But, I am also happy that you came to a peaceful decision. Lightening storms are beautiful, by the way.

buffalo call,
P. Tatonka