Google
 

Thursday, December 24, 2009

One Day, While on my Soapbox...

Today I'm cleaning. Not just organizing and making my room look neat, but really hardcore, sort-through-my-life, cleaning. So I pulled out my boxes of crap from under my bed, and I've been sitting for 2 hours going through everything; garbage-pile, save-pile, what-the-heck-is-this-pile, this-is-definitely-not-mine-pile... you get the picture.
Going through stuff like this is one of my favorite things to do. Not all the time, mind you... I hate deep cleaning all the time. But every once in awhile, to go through everything and see old things and wonder why the heck I ever saved that thing... I like it. And when I'm done, I feel really accomplished.
So, the reason for this post... One day, I was apparently on a mental Soapbox, and wrote my feelings on moral relativism in a notebook. I just found the notebook, and before I rip out and toss the few pages I used in order to reuse the notebook, I thought I should type up my political rant... It seems like far too much thought went into it to just let it go to waste. So, at the risk of allowing my blog to become another "I have thoughts on politics, and if the world could just hear them, I could fix everything" type of blog, here's the product of my soapbox moments:

Moral Relativism: The great oxymoron of the culture of Death.

"Truth is always truth, even if no one believes it." -G.K. Chesterton
Truth is truth is truth is truth. It is not subjective. It is objective. Morality cannot be relative to the individual, because morality is truth. It applies to all people, in all cultures, every day. It is always wrong to kill. It is always wrong to steal. Circumstances do NOT make an action "less wrong." This is a great misconception. Circumstances, rather, change the level to which a person is held accountable or morally responsible for the action. Circumstances affect culpability, not morality. For example, a person killing in self-defense has not done a good and moral thing. Of course not; killing is still wrong. But his need to protect his own life or the lives of others keeps him from being held morally responsible for his action. Similarly, a man stealing food to feed his starving family has not done a good deed. But he is less culpable because of his grave circumstances.
The idea that "what's right for you is right for you, and what's right for me is right for me," is a great lie woven by the culture of death, and society is caught up in the threads. Political correctness keeps the truth from being told. But truth needs to be told. Yes, we need to respect those around us. But to what extent? At the expense of our morals? At the expense of others' lives? Political correctness, however it began, is no longer about tolerance and respect. It's about catering to a particular political agenda. And it is demoralizing our society. Everyone is so worried about offending someone (and probably getting sued, since that seems to be America's new favorite pasttime), that no one stands up for their beliefs anymore.
Yes. Tolerance and respect of those around us is important. In fact, it is vital. If we had practiced more of it in the past, maybe we could have been spared the race riots and other such ghastly events. But morality is non-negotiable; killing is wrong, at all times, whether it's an unborn child, a 95 year old man with a terminal illness, or just a murder on the streets. Moral relativism is a lie. If you believe in something, speak up. Speak out. Give truth a voice. Give the victims of this lie - countless unborn children, their mothers, millions falling prey each day to sexual immorality, victims of euthanasia and the death penalty - give them a voice.
But, in tolerance and respect, do it with love. As Bl. Mother Teresa of Calcutta said, "We can do no great things. Only small things with great love." Small things and great love can start a revolution. And this society could use a revolution.

No comments: